Thursday, June 28, 2012

K Street Reverie



For most of my professional career, K street was the principal location of my offices - 20th between L and M; 19th and K; 1825 K St., 19th and Pennsylvania,  22nd and New Hampshire, 15th and M and finally McPherson Square.  (In the middle years,  there was a 10-year exile to the Flour Mill in Georgetown.)  My memories of K Street are strong - walking East into the sun in the early morning, trudging through snow drifts after leaving the METRO to get to my office in the winter and running into friends and acquaintances during lunch.
It has been three years since I retired, and now I find myself purposely choosing the K Street offices of my doctors rather than their more convenient locations in Friendship Heights. This morning as I walked to and from my most recent medical appointment, I noted the following changes on K Street.  
.  At least two-thirds of the pedestrians were holding smart phones and most of them had ear buds in place.  
.  Less casual attire appears to be the custom - more dresses/skirts than pants and more ties and jackets than open collars and khaki pants.
.  More restaurants offering  burgers and small plates (at the same price of large plates five years ago).
.  There are now almost as many CVS stores as banks.
.  My favorite mens room at the Mayflower Hotel  has retained its old world elegance even though the lobby has undergone an unpleasant modern renovation.
When is my next appointment for a stress test?

No comments:

Post a Comment