Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Perfect BLT


On a 100 degree day in Washington what better way to say “summer” than to make a BLT with fresh, hand picked ingredients.  Our Rock Creek garden is finally producing the  heirloom tomatoes we carefully selected in the spring.  I picked up some thick cut, maple wood smoked bacon at the supermarket, and Robin secured a bunch of fresh romaine lettuce.
All we needed was the delivery system. We decided to abandon our traditional Arnold white bread, which had been specifically chosen for its blandness so as not to distract from the flavors of the key ingredients.  A seeded Jewish rye bread from Newark, New Jersey caught our eye, and we ventured into new territory.
The sandwich bread was toasted, slathered with Hellman’s and completed with our bacon, lettuce and tomatoes.  The rye bread added an exciting density and flavor to our other components.
Happy Summer!

1 comment:

  1. I'm jealous! My all-time favorite sandwich. I frequently use jewish rye bread myself. And what's with the non-seeded variety? I don't know why people like that.
    But I remember with gusto that sandwich you made for me last summer!

    ReplyDelete